Minutes of Meeting – April 5, 2017; meeting called to order at 7:00pm. Present: Channing Gibson; Dave Roche; Ed Lane; Ken Fowler; Warren Archey.
MOTION by EL, seconded by CG to accept the Minutes of March 22. 5/0 vote.
Citizen’s Open Forum: Ellen Jacobson announced that there will be another Fix-It Fair at the Community Center on Saturday, April 22 from 1-4pm. Ken Kelly announced hikes, hosted by BNRC, at Parson’s Marsh scheduled for 4/21 at 7pm, 4/29 at 10am and 5/3 at 7:30 and 9am.
Consent Agenda: MOTION by EL, seconded by DR to approve the consent agenda as follows:
Appointment of Lavinia Meeks to the Historical Commission; approval of a monetary donation to the Police Department; one-day W&M license to Adrienne Miesner for Saturday, 6/3 from 4-7pm at the Welles Gallery; innholders and entertainment licenses to Courtyard by Marriott. 5/0 vote.
The TM asked the Board to act upon a temporary sign request received yesterday that is time sensitive. MOTION by EL, seconded by DR to grant permission Kate McNulty-Vaughan to erect a temporary sign in front of the Community Center from 4/6-4/22, announcing the Fix-It Fair. 5/0 vote.
The TM presented Larry Morse for appointment as the EMS Director for the Town. MOTION by EL, seconded by CG to ratify the appointment of Larry Morse to the position of EMS Director. 5/0 vote.
The Board discussed the Farmer’s Market and if it should be located in Roche Reading Park again this summer. DR feels that it is the right thing to do. However, he has concerns about parking and doesn’t really like this location. EL stated that while he likes farmer’s markets, the location is the issue here. CG feels that Lilac Park would be a better location. A spokesperson for the farmer’s market stated that they have two other locations that they are looking at, one being St. Ann’s parking lot. KF suggested that they utilize St. Ann’s with the park as a back-up should there be an activity at the church on a Friday. Others present felt that while there will always be some inconvenience involved, it is important to hold these types of events in the downtown area. It was agreed that
the farmer’s market would continue to pursue St. Ann’s parking lot to host their market, but that the Town was open to working with them should issues occur with this location.
The Board then discussed the STA applications. CG and DR are very happy that the Town now has a scoring matrix to utilize in the future. EL feels that we should not give these benefits to the three businesses that have applications pending since they are already in town, and we do not need to entice them to come here. KF feels that it is a good idea and that the three requests should be brought before the voters at town meeting. Pam Kueber and Kate McNulty-Vaughan spoke about the version that the Planning Board had presented, that based upon research these three businesses should not be able to apply at all and that there are other things that towns can do that would be more effective in attracting businesses. Jim Harwood asked for clarification as to what was being voted on: the policy itself or whether
to place the three articles on the warrant for town meeting. The TM explained how the process evolved from receiving the applications, to creating a policy to placing the articles on the ATM warrant. Mr. Harwood questioned how you can give incentives to businesses that are already in Lenox. Kameron Spaulding stated that Lenox Manor has not pulled a building permit yet, and thus this project could go away. Offering these incentives does not create a net gain or loss to the Town, and he feels that the voters should decide. MOTION by EL, seconded by DR to approve the inclusion of the three requests on the upcoming town meeting warrant. 4/1 vote with EL opposed.
With regard to the shared COA with the Town of Lee, CG stated that we need to be first in line to get Chris back should this shared arrangement not work out. The TM stated that his current employment agreement with Lenox covers that. After a brief discussion, it was agreed to wait until after Lee has presented this information to their Town Representatives prior to taking a vote.
The TM gave a brief update on the $27.5M FY18 budget. He then went through the 29 proposed warrant articles for the upcoming town meeting. He stated that article #5, having to do with the Library, increases the appropriation and encompasses the staff and use of library assets; however, this is still subject to change. CG suggested that we reverse the order of article #24 and #25. Pam Kueber questioned what happens to the funds should the TIF/STA’s not be approved. The TM explained how the process would work, and that there would be no net gain/loss in revenue.
BOS Liaison Reports: CG stated that the CPC will be meeting in May to discuss town priorities for the next round of Community Preservation funding. Both DR and the TM stated that they will not be present for the 4/19 meeting, so the Board agreed to change the schedule as follows: April 12, 26 and May 3 will now be the regularly scheduled Selectmen’s meeting dates. WA stated that he will be looking at trees to be removed on Walker Street as part of the street project. EL stated that the library steps will be getting repaired shortly, and that the paving of Richmond Mountain Road will begin on 4/11 for approximately four weeks. The road will be closed during working hours Monday-Friday, and open in the evenings and on the weekends. KF stated that real estate taxes are due by May 1.
By roll call, CG, DR, EL, KF and WA voted to go into Executive Session at 9:15pm to discuss strategy with respect to negotiations with union personnel with regard to mitigating plan design changes being implemented under Chapter 32B, Sections 21-23.
Minutes Taken By: ______________________ Minutes Accepted By: ______________________
Mary Ellen Deming Clerk
Director of Administrative Services Board of Selectmen