Marketing and Events Committee Meeting
February 16, 2012
Present: ~ Kim Reopell Flynn, Tony Simotes, Bob Romeo, Eiran Gazit (alt)
Absent: Carl Pratt, Richard Wise, Dick Houdek (alt)
Also Present: David Roche, Select Board liaison
Meeting called to order at 9:03 a.m.
1. Minutes from January 19, 2012 and February 2, 2012 were approved.
2. Ann Jon made her presentation for the Sculpture Now event for summer 2012. She anticipates approximately 16 sculptures around Main Street, Walker Street and beginning of Kemble Street. KRF asks if a few sculptures could be shown in Lenox Dale – she believes it is too far out of town for any artist to want to be relegated there. DR states Select Board would be very in favor of that idea. There is a discussion about at least one piece in Furnace Park where people coming into Lenox Dale over bridge from Lee would see it. EG asks if One Berkshire or Berkshire Visitors Bureau have been approached for sponsorship. Ann says no and EG suggests she ask. TS also asks about insurance coverage given vandalism issues from last summer. Further
discussion ensues regarding something in Lenox Dale. KRF asks Ann to asks the artists if one might want to put a piece in Lenox Dale as a focal piece for traffic. EG confirms that she is asking for $4,000.00, which is exactly the shortfall from her projected income and proposed expenses – is she approaching any other potential sponsors. DR asks about administration expenses, which seem high. He asks her to be prepared to offer more detail when she comes to Select Board for this funding. Motion made by EG to allocate $2,500.00 of economic development funds to Sculpture Now event. Second by BR. DR suggests that motion be amended to include one piece in Lenox Dale. Motion is amended and approved 4-0.
3. Review of the application from Sparta Cycling, Inc. for the Berkshire Cycling Classic. DR advises committee that Select Board has deferred final approval pending recommendation from Marketing & Events Committee. Will do at next meeting or have special meeting if needed sooner. KRF also advises committee that DR came before Chamber of Commerce to discuss the event and what Chamber will be doing to assist with this event. Committee reviews the application and budget.
- Brief discussion regarding drafting next RFP. EG makes motion to continue the contract with B-H until; end of June for sum of $5,000.00. BR seconds. Motion is amended to $4,995.00 to stay below the RFP threshold. Motion passes 4-0.
- KRF brings forward idea to host neighborhood meetings in Lenox Dale, North Lenox and Lenox Commons. DR states that you will always get a better attendance when you go to their neighborhood because you are reaching out and engaging the residents.
- Old/New Business:
KRG presents quick review of the web site guidelines proposed by Kevin Sniffen of Bodden-Hamilton.
Meeting adjourned at 10:37 a.m.